Salary: £30,316 (Inclusive of London Weighting)
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Location: ZSL London Zoo – NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a leading international conservation, science and education charity. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries around the world and through education and engagement at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL is seeking a talented, smart, and creative storyteller to join our fast-moving PR and Publications team and help us communicate about our important work with both our internal audiences and our supporters in the UK and around the world. The Publishing Officer is responsible for managing the end-to-end production of ZSL’s external and internal publications portfolio.
While our experts are busy conserving wildlife, the PR and Publications team have to ensure that everyone knows what we’re doing, how we’re doing it and most importantly why we’re doing it. As part of an in-house team, the Publishing Officer will be someone who can write compelling updates about our Zoos and conservation projects, make our world-class science accessible for non-scientists, and truly get under the skin of this diverse and exciting organisation.
With such a varied output, our audiences are varied too. Our communications need to be tailored to ensure we’re hitting the nail on the head every time. From shaping stories and features for our membership magazine, to crafting articles for our internal newsletter and producing enthralling copy for our Zoo visitor-guides, the ideal candidate will be able to find content and write engaging copy quickly, efficiently and accurately, as well as manage the overall copy-approvals and publications schedules on deadline.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver the following publications on time and to budget: ZSL Annual Review, ZSL Conservation Review, Institute of Zoology annual review, ZSL London Zoo guide book, ZSL Whipsnade Zoo guide book, Wild About members’ magazine, internal newsletters such as ZSL Life and email updates.
- Contribute to the overarching communications strategy to ensure publications are relevant and effective in achieving our corporate mission.
- Develop and maintain a corporate style guide and provide advice to staff on its use.
- Develop and maintain multiple ‘smart’ publication schedules that can be adjusted and managed easily.
- Responsible for ensuring copy and imagery is submitted and edited on time for every publication to avoid schedule slippage.
- Draft, edit, shape and proofread key corporate literature and copy being produced around the organisation to ensure consistency of style and tone.
- Manage a wide-ranging approvals process with meticulous efficiency and attention to detail.
- Continuously look for ways and opportunities to develop and enhance publications, embracing new technology where appropriate.
- Educated to degree standard (in a relevant discipline) or equivalent work experience in a relevant role.
- Prior experience managing the production of multiple publications.
- Previous experience of writing and editing to short deadlines.
- Proven copy-editing and copywriting experience.
- Considerable demonstrable experience of writing creative copy for a range of channels including corporate reports, news articles, publicity materials and online
- Knowledge of audience segmentation and writing for different audiences
- Knowledge of industry tools for planning, scheduling
- Working knowledge of production and print methods and materials
- Ability to plan strategically and manage long-term projects
- Ability to present to senior management clearly and persuasively when required
- Excellent literacy skills and proof reading ability including a meticulous eye for detail
- Ability to spot and shape a potential story, and gather the correct assets for the proposed communication channel.
Please note: This is a full-time, permanent position where the post holder will work a basic 37.5 hours and will be based at ZSL London Zoo, in Regents Park. The role may require occasional travel to our sister-site ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, Bedfordshire, and occasional evening and weekend work, thus having a driver’s license and access to a car is desirable but not essential.
Please click here to apply via the ZSL website.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding these positions or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.